Learning level: Key Stage 2
Duration: 60 minutes
Discover how scientists and engineers help people to live and work in one of the harshest environments on Earth - Antarctica.
Conduct experiments to find the best construction materials for an Antarctic Research Station. Learn about the cutting-edge design of a real Antarctic Base.
By the end of the workshops students will have discovered:
- How engineers use their knowledge of material properties to help people live and work in extreme conditions.
- How to test the properties of materials using a range of lab equipment.
- The properties of some unusual materials.
- How extremes of temperature can affect the properties of materials.
- What it is like to live in Antarctica.
Key Stage 2 Science
- Properties & changes of materials
- Working scientifically
Key Stage 2 Design technology