The Life Science Centre is a fully accessible venue providing access friendly facilities for all visitors.
If you have any special access requirements please get in touch before you visit by calling (0191) 243 8210, so that we can meet your needs.
Carers of disabled visitors are admitted free of charge (one carer per disabled visitor, including when the disabled visitor is aged 4 or under); the normal admission fee applies to the disabled visitor. Please bring some proof of entitlement such as a letter showing that you receive support, or a Companion card, a Children and Young People's Network Card, or similar.
For families with young children
- Designated area for under 7s - Young Explorers' Zone.
- Baby change facilities on all floors (kits are available from dispensers for a cost of £1).
- Pushchair and wheelchair friendly cafés.
- High chairs.
- Free bottle and food warming facilities.
- Children’s meals (freshly made on the premises where possible).
- Packed lunch area where visitors can enjoy their own food.
For visitors with limited mobility and wheelchair users
- Free admission for carer (one carer per disabled visitor). Please bring some proof of entitlement such as a letter showing that you receive support, or a Companion card, a Children and Young People's Network Card, or similar.
- Level access, with lifts to all floors.
- Onsite parking for blue badge holders is available on request (subject to availability). Call our control room on (0191) 243 8260 to arrange.
- Drop-off points for minibuses and coaches (must be pre-arranged before visit).
- Fully accessibly car park located close by.
- Disabled toilet facilities on all floors.
- Wheelchair spaces available in the planetarium and Science Theatre.
- Wheelchairs can be loaned for the duration of your visit. This is a free service
*but subject to availability. Please ring on the day of your visit to check availability - (0191) 243 8210.
Wheelchair users and Skating at Life
Skating at Life is open annually from November - February.
Wheelchair users and their carers can usually use the ice rink, however during very busy times we may have to delay or refuse entry for safety reasons. We can recommend quiet times to visit - get in touch for details. Wheelchair users pay the normal ticket price and their carer (one per wheelchair user) goes free. Carers must wear shoe grips (provided by Life) so they can control the wheelchair on the ice. Motorised wheelchairs must be set to manual.
Deaf, deafened and hard of hearing visitors
- Free admission for a dedicated assistant.
- Induction loop at reception and inside the planetarium and Science Theatre.
- Scripts are available on request for all of our planetarium and Science Theatre shows.
Blind and partially sighted visitors
- Free admission for a dedicated sighted assistant (a sighted assistant is recommended for your visit).
- Guide and assistance dogs are welcome.
- All Life print can be made available in large print formats. Call (0191) 243 8208 with your request.
Familiarise yourself with Life before your visit by downloading our visual story. It's full of useful information and images, and is designed for visitors who may need a little additional support. The visual story will let you know what to expect on a visit to Life, and help you make the most of your time here.
First aid / lost children
While visiting the Science Centre, if you require first aid assistance, or become separated from your child(ren), please contact a member of staff or report to reception immediately.
Individual secured lockers are available at reception for storing personal belongings. A £5.00 deposit is required, £4.00 of which is returnable in exchange for the key. Items are stored at visitors' own risk.
Information on our two cafes.
Information on our Gift shop.
This guide is full of useful information and images, and is designed for visitors who may need a little additional support. The visual story will let you know what to expect on a visit to Life, and help you make the most of your time here.