In the Experiment Zone - YOU are the scientist!
Ever wondered what it’s like to be a real scientist? Find out in the Experiment Zone.
- Carry out practical experiments using real tools and materials.
- Work on your own, in a team, or enlist the help of a friendly Science Explainer.
- Meet real-life working scientists – see them at work and ask questions.
- Help in actual research projects taking place in the region’s universities.
Experiment Zone opening times
Monday - Saturday: 11.00am - 6.00pm (last entry 5.30pm)
Sunday: 11.00am - 6.00pm (last entry 5.30pm)
Recommended for ages 7+. This is a recommendation based on the length of the experiments and the equipment (including glass and chemicals) and manual dexterity required. Under 14s MUST be supervised by an adult.
Check out the Experiment Zone section of our blog to find out more!
"We particularly enjoyed taking part in the science experiments on the ground floor... viewing cheek cells under a microscope and testing vitamin C levels in fruit juices. This was a great chance for our kids (11 and 8) to carry out science experiments and they loved it!"
In a range of hands-on experiments you can delve into the fascinating world of scientists and find out how their work helps in our daily lives:
- Find out what it’s like to be a forensic scientist.
- Try your hand at DNA extraction.
- Be a food scientist.
- Discover healthy bacteria.
For more information about the Experiment Zone, and what it takes to build a brand new exhibition, read our blog post: The Experiment Zone - Taking Shape.