In the Experiment Zone - YOU are the scientist!
Ever wondered what it’s like to be a real scientist? Find out in the Experiment Zone.
- Carry out practical experiments using real tools and materials.
- Work on your own, in a team, or enlist the help of a friendly Science Explainer.
- Meet real-life working scientists – see them at work and ask questions.
- Help in actual research projects taking place in the region’s universities.
Experiment Zone opening times
Term time opening times
Monday - Friday: 11.00am - 4.00pm (last entry 3.30pm)
Saturday: 10.00am - 5.30pm (last entry 5.00pm)
Sunday: 11.00am - 5.30pm (last entry 5.00pm)
October Half Term (22 - 30 October) opening times
Monday - Saturday: 10.00am - 6.00pm (last entry 5.30pm)
Sunday: 11.00am - 6.00pm (last entry 5.30pm)
The Experiment Zone is for ages 7+, we restrict access to under 7s for safety reasons. Under 14s MUST be supervised by an adult.
"We particularly enjoyed taking part in the science experiments on the ground floor... viewing cheek cells under a microscope and testing vitamin C levels in fruit juices. This was a great chance for our kids (11 and 8) to carry out science experiments and they loved it!"
Check out the Experiment Zone section of our blog to find out more!
In a range of hands-on experiments you can delve into the fascinating world of scientists and find out how their work helps in our daily lives:
- Find out what it’s like to be a forensic scientist.
- Try your hand at DNA extraction.
- Master essential skills for professional lab work.
For more information about the Experiment Zone, and what it takes to build a brand new exhibition, read our blog post: The Experiment Zone - Taking Shape.