Life Science Centre is now open on weekends only between 10:00am - 5:00pm. Tickets for timed slots can be purchased online in advance of your visit. Some slots on the afternoon will be kept free for walk-ups - but booking is advised to avoid disappointment.
Our safety measures remain in place. This includes the Life team and visitors being asked to wear a face covering unless exempt.
Life at 21! Life opened in May 2000, with the purpose of inspiring everyone in North East England to explore and enjoy science and to discover its relevance to their own lives.
In the past two decades, Life has welcomed an average of 300,000 people a year to its science centre: families, adults and school groups. Groundbreaking research into regenerative medicine and genetics has taken place onsite and made international headlines, and hundreds of thousands of people have benefitted from the NHS clinics at Life.
A lot has changed in that time. When Life opened, many people were nervous about genetics research and the concept of IVF babies. Life is proud to have been a pioneer in both fields.
Life is 21 in 2021. It’s never been more important to inspire people to explore the big issues facing humanity and how science and technology can help us to tackle them.
Please explore the tabs below to find out more about our unique science village. Want to stay abreast of what is happening across the site? You can read past issues and subscribe to the e-newsletter, Latest from Life.
Meet the Trustees and Senior Management Team
Over the past year, Life has delivered exciting science engagement programmes and are proud to have been the first science centre in the world to open as a large vaccination centre, which has now been operating successfully for over six months. Read about our adventures in our Annual Review.
We aspire to enrich lives through science.
We are one team and everything we do is rooted in the following values:
- Welcoming: our team, our customers and our communities are diverse and we celebrate that! We want everyone to feel comfortable, respected and valued.
- Exceptional: our customers and staff deserve the best and we go over-and-above to exceed their expectations.
- Honest: we are trustworthy, unbiased and behave fairly, ethically and responsibly at all times.
- Curious: we encourage everyone to question everything and explore science and technology through hands-on experiences and individual discovery.
- Entrepreneurial: we’re not scared to push boundaries and try bold, unusual and edgy ways to achieve our ambitions.
- Collaborative: we will continue to partner those who share our passion and values.
Research and clinical highlights:
- Researchers at Newcastle University were at the forefront of developing groundbreaking research to prevent mothers from passing on mitochondrial diseases to their children. In early 2017, the NHS Newcastle Fertility Centre became the first clinic in the world to be granted a licence to treat patients using mitochondrial replacement therapy.
- The NHS Northern Genetics Service hosts The John Walton Muscular Dystrophy Research Centre, which is recognised as a leading site for international patient studies and clinical trials.
- A stem cell therapy developed at the Institute of Genetic Medicine has restored the eyesight of people with Limbal stem cell deficiency – a condition that has various causes, including burns to the eye, contact lens-related eye disease and hereditary diseases.
Only 25% of operating revenue comes from mission-related activities, such as admission tickets to Life Science Centre. The remainder comes from a range of income generators, including the rental of property: laboratories; clinics; offices; an outdoor space that is let for popular events, such as concerts and product launches; and, adding some extra piquancy to the mix, commercial property that is now home to the area’s most popular nightclub and three bars.
Newcastle University and Newcastle upon Tyne NHS Foundation Trust play an integral role in the mission of the International Centre for Life. As such, they are not charged a commercial property rental rate for the spaces that they occupy on-site.
Additional income is generated from a venue-hire business (Life Meetings and Events), a multi-storey car park, two cafés, a gift shop and an outdoor ice rink that operates during the winter months.
Partners and supporters
Life has forged many mutually beneficial relationships with individuals, organisations, businesses and networks. We are proud to be associated with our partners and supporters. If you would like to be part of this network, please get in touch.
Click the button below to find out more about Life’s Senior Management team and its Board of Trustees.
Each member of the Board contributes their time and expertise to help ensure the wellbeing and future of the organisation and oversee that all of the activity on-site supports its charitable mission. Take a look at the 2018 Trustees' Report and Financial Statements for further information.
At Life, we take sustainability very seriously. We are committed to:
- using resources and facilities responsibly to ensure the long-term health of Life and our communities;
- carrying out business in ways that minimise negative effects on the environment;
- identifying ways to improve social, financial and environmental sustainability.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Life is an educational charity which is fully committed to providing the highest standards of service to our customers and everyone we do business with.
Read our Equality, Diversity and inclusion Statement >
We are committed to respecting the privacy rights of customers, staff, suppliers and partners.